• In late February 2023, Polish publisher PHALANX launched a crowdfunding campaign on Gamefound for Reiner Knizia‘s HUANG, a sleek, new version of the 2018 Grail Games release, Yellow & Yangtze, which is a sister game to Knizia’s highly acclaimed classic, Tigris & Euphrates. Eric originally announced this in one of his September 2022 posts, but now that the campaign is live, there are additional, exciting details to share.
Here’s a brief overview of the gameplay for HUANG, if you’re not already familiar with its predecessor Yellow & Yangtze:
This new edition of Yellow & Yangtze has a Standard version with cardboard stands for leaders and pagodas, but there’s also a fancy, Deluxe version available with high-quality premium miniatures. In addition, PHALANX is offering special Gamefound exclusives for HUANG, including the Dragon Dynasty 5-player expansion, which is free for backers and allows you to play it with 2-5 players. There’s also a new Royal Palace additional module available as part of the crowdfunding campaign, and other expansions being announced during the campaign, which ends on March 9, 2023 at 5 PM EST.
Sample setup image
I never got the opportunity to play Yellow & Yangtze, but I loved Tigris & Euphrates when I played it, so I’m pumped to for HUANG.
• The Leader Series of solitaire World War II air warfare games from Dan Verssen Games (DVG) continues to grow with Russ Lance‘s Flying Tigers Leader, which was launched for crowdfunding on Kickstarter in early March 2023.
In Flying Tigers Leader, you command the Flying Tigers in the air war against Japan as briefly described below by the publisher:
There are also new rules governing starting skill levels and abilities of some pilots created. There are also rules for replacing the pilots or rotating the squadron out based on casualties. The event cards are based on actual events that the Tigers experienced in their short sojourn in defending SE Asia.
• In my PAX Unplugged ’22 round-up post, I mentioned that I checked out Ascension Tactics: Inferno, a new standalone version of Justin Gary and Ryan Sutherland‘s Ascension Tactics from Stone Blade Entertainment. Ascension Tactics: Inferno is being crowdfunded on Kickstarter through March 9, 2022.
Here’s what you can expect from this miniatures deck-building game for 1-4 players from designers Justin Gary and Gary Arant:
It is up to the Champions of Vigil, alongside a few rebellious monsters, to bring peace to the twisted lands, and set Deofol on a path to redemption in Ascension Tactics: Inferno!
Ascension Tactics: Inferno is a stand-alone expansion to the hit game, Ascension Tactics. Ascension Tactics: Inferno includes all of your favorite gameplay mechanics found in the original game and introduces some new features to take gameplay to a whole new level:
—• Four player co-op! In addition to solo, campaign, a team-based play, Inferno includes the ability for you and three friends to take on the game in the new four player co-op mode!
—• A new faction: The Fallen. For the first time in the history of Ascension, a new, fifth faction is being introduced to the game!
—• Transforming Champions! If you complete the requirements to transform a Champion during the game, both its card and miniature will be replaced with a stronger version and new abilities!
—• Quests! Each player will be given a Quest to complete during the game. Once completed, it transforms into a powerful Construct that can be equipped to your Champions!
• Dual-faction Champions! Discover Champions that have abilities from not one, but two factions!
If you’re interested in learning more about Ascension Tactics: Inferno, be sure to check out the designer diary Justin Gary posted for it.
• In their February Newsletter, the folks from Inside Up Games mentioned an upcoming Kickstarter campaign for Terminus, a subway-building, resource management game for 2-5 players, designed by Earl Aspiras and Thomas Volpe.
Here’s what we know about it so far, based on the publisher’s description:
Manage assets such as time, money, & resources to build your subway line. Gain prestige by completing objectives and fulfilling the city’s transit demands. Focus on individual projects, open Agendas or a little of both in an effort to earn more prestige than the competition. Can you stay on track to deliver on the cities many needs?
Terminus is a subway planning, developing and construction game for 2-5 players, aged 14+, taking 30-40 minutes per player.